The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Mini Reviews: Gods, Trains, Diplomats and Boarders

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Antigoddess & Mortal Gods (Goddess War Series) by Kendare Blake
GOODREADS
I absolutely loved both of these books. They're definitely must reads for anyone who has even a passing interest in Greek mythology. I don't know how true to the canon the stories are - maybe a Classics scholar would wrinkle their nose at times - but I will happily sit through Troy every time it's on the telly, so I'm not exactly fussed about accuracy. All the usual suspects turn up at various points but in modern day form, which is a fun twist. They're all likeable and unlikeable, which keeps you reading. Except for Hermes - he's always likeable. The action scenes are fast and furious and the descriptions of their various ailments are well thought out. I can't wait for the next one! I wonder if the series is a trilogy or longer? 


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
I'm in the minority I think because I didn't really like this book but felt compelled to finish it after paying £6 for the Kindle version. As a rule, I don't usually spend more than £4-5 on a Kindle book unless it happens to be by one of my go to authors. Anyway, I got duped by the Gone Girl comparisons. I know, I know, I shouldn't pay attention to the marketing quotes but I'll admit, I was fooled. There just wan't enough intrigue for me. The story didn't hook me. When reading, I don't care if the characters are horrid but the actual story needs to be interesting. There weren't any surprises or twists and turns. I'm not a connoisseur of the thriller genre so I don't know if this style of writing is the norm but I think first person should be used for one character only. The three women all sounded the same to me. Overall, I was disappointed. 



All Fall Down (Embassy Row Series) by Ally Carter
The other day, TV critic AA Gill described the Scandinavian drama style as following a pattern of generally starting normally and ending with confusion, which builds and builds and isn't always resolved. This way, compared to the usual mystery/drama trope of a big event happening and working backwards, makes for more effective storytelling. I felt like this reading Ally Carter's latest. It starts off fairly innocuously - girl is visiting her grandfather in Europe after a few years apart - and ends...well, I won't spoilt the ending but I can say there are many questions posed and not many answers given. All Fall Down is definitely the most mature Ally Carter book I've read (I'm a big fan of Gallagher Girls and Heist Society) and it is more serious in tone. However, I love that her stories centre around such winning girls and romance doesn't usually play a huge part - although, of course, there's always a little bit. I also think the setting is really interesting. I always remember my mum pointing out diplomat cars at the airport and explaining what they do - I remember thinking that sounded like quite an interesting job.  I'm definitely looking forward to the next instalment of Embassy Row. 


The Ex-Games by Jennifer Echols
I was trying to review this for the YA Buccaneers Reading Mutiny Challenge but fell ill and never got around to putting pen to paper (and then typing it up - I always have to handwrite my reviews, do you?) This was a fun read - especially as we got some snow around the same time. It was what I've come to expect from Jennifer Echols' romantic comedies. I think I've liked - if not loved- everything I've read by Jennifer Echols'. She's definitely one of my said go-to authors. I liked that the group of friends were so close and there wasn't much drama between them. I think it's important to show fun and healthy friendships because lots of people have a good circle of friends in high school, particularly if you're in a smaller town. I also liked the banter between Hayden and her brother - they reminded me of the McGillicuddys in Endless Summer. Finally, I really enjoyed the sport aspect - I do like my sports YA and need to find some more! 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!