The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Top Ten Tuesday: Character Driven Novels

Tuesday, October 7, 2014





Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is: Top Ten Books For People Who Like Character Driven Novels. 

To be honest, I think I only really read character driven novels. I rarely read action/adventure/sci-fi/plot heavy stories. So, to narrow this down, I think I'll stick to YA for today. As this is my preferred type of book, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's list!




Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar - I mention this book all the time. Please read it if you haven't already! It's truly amazing. 

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay - I mention this one a lot too. This book really goes in and if you're not into full on weeping whilst reading, perhaps steer clear of this one. 

Flat-Out Celeste by Jessica Park - Flat-Out Love could count too but I just loved Celeste so much. She was the breakout character in Flat-Out Love and really comes into her own in this book. A really touching exploration into the life of a not so average high school senior. 

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta - Any of Melina Marchetta's contemporary books could be on this list but I'm about to re-read this one, so it's at the forefront of my mind. 

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton - The original. The template. I can't believe I took so long to read it - have you read it? 

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - It's always nice to read a character driven novel set in college.

The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp by Eva Rice - This probably isn't in the YA section of your local bookstore but Tara is a teenager and she goes on an amazing journey. 

Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers - Again, like some of the other authors on this list, any of Courtney Summers' books could be here (yes, even the zombie one) but Cracked Up To Be was the first and the one I re-read the most. Parker is just...well...read it and see. 

Memoirs Of A Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin -  Naomi is a bit like Parker-lite but that doesn't take away from what she has to go through in this book. I really love this book. 

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson - I'm sure this will be on lots of lists today and quite rightly so. A beautiful study in grief and family and love. 

5 comments

  1. Yikes I have only read Fangirl on this list! But many I intend to read and I have first hand experience with how wonderful Marchetta's characters are!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose all of Rainbow Rowell's books could've been included but I liked that Fangirl concentrated on the college experience and Cather really went through the wringer!

      Delete
  2. I know! My TBR list is ridiculous these days as well. I think I'll have to sit down and sort it out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read Flat Out Celeste! I loved Flat Out Love! Good to see it on a list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant! I daresay it might have been better than Flat-Out Love!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!