The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

What's Occurring?

Sunday, August 3, 2014

So, anyone who pops by here on the regular (thank you!) will have noticed I haven't been around much lately. To cut a long story short, I was very ill but now I'm on the mend. I've done this 'What's Occurring?' post a few times before and thought it would be a good way to ease back into things.

The Pages

  • I read sooooo much whilst I was ill (although for some reason I couldn't read anything whilst actually in hospital). I've also been doing the YA Buccaneers summer reading challenge but I'll have more of an update on that towards the end of the week. 

  • Some highlights: The Outsiders by S.E Hinton (why did I put it off for so long?!); Blue by Lisa Glass; Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae; All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill; and Landline by Rainbow Rowell (meow). Oh and I have to mention Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead. Whilst I wasn't blown away by the novel as whole, there was a chapter revolving around a performance of The Nutcracker and the descriptions were amazing. I LOVE The Nutcracker and Maggie Shipstead's writing made it feel like I was actually in the theatre. Brillaint. 
  • I also realised I had read a lot of YA so went on a bit of a spending spree in the Kindle store getting all the adult books. I'm about 150 pages into I Am Pilgrim and just WOW. Have you read it?  

The Soundtrack

  • I missed my concerts :( I was supposed to go to Wireless Festival but perhaps it's just as well I missed Kanye's ranting. I also missed Clean Bandit at Somerset House. Never mind, we have Pharrell in October and hopefully I'll be feeling better by then. 
  • A lot of the time I couldn't sleep so I listened to Classic FM playlists. I've also had the Waltz from Coppellia stuck in my head for the longest while and developed a renewed love for Rhapsody In Blue.
  • I've had The Suburbs by Arcade Fire whizzing around my head too. I can't describe why I love this song so much but there are those songs that on the first listen just bury themselves inside of you. As soon as I heard 'grab your mother's key we're leaving' I was in. Actually, I think Landline might have caused it to surface from the depths of my subconscious.
  • Still listening to Paolo Nutini, particularly One Day and Iron Sky. I also went back to Back to Black. I was sad when Michael Jackson died but Amy Winehouse's death hit me hard! Such a talent...
  • New stuff: Prettiest Ones Fly Highest by Fryars and New Drop, New York by Sbtrkt ft Ezra Koenig. What have you been listening to?


The Words

  • None. Nil. Nada. Zilch. I haven't had the energy.
And The Rest...

  • I haven't watched that much television surprisingly. I've pretty much left the TV on TLC and Lifetime, meaning I think I could now work for Cake Boss and can definitely Say Yes To The Dress. I tried to get into Orange Is The New Black and whilst I enjoyed the four episodes I watched I just couldn't make myself watch anymore. The same goes for The Honourable Woman - watched two episodes (which were EXCELLENT) but couldn't get through anymore. However, I have enjoyed Extant and I started watching Episodes, which is hilarious. My kind of comedy. 
  • There is one show I have become addicted to though...Total Divas! Ok, I didn't go into it blind as I was a big WWE fan during my teen years and then kind of got back into it last year. Still, it's actually a really refreshing take on the reality shows because these ladies have proper jobs- rather than being filmed shopping and eating - and they are truly badass - rather than those wannabes who believe flipping tables and clicking fingers makes them boss ladies. Oh and I really think The Bellas need to guest star on New Girl as Jess's superbad cousins - they sound so much like her!
  • I haven't seen any of the summer blockbusters but hopefully I'll catch Guardians of the Galaxy before it finishes. More importantly, what is this about it not being the right time for a female led Marvel movie? Ridiculous. Saying 'I very much believe in doing it but...' is the reason we are not progressing with regard to equality anywhere. Just get rid of the but and give us the movie! I'll happily wait a few more years for another Cap or Thor film if it means we can get a female superhero on the screens. Give Scarlett her movie, she deserves it. 
  • Soooo Allure called L.C 'basic'? I'm sorry, I know people want to retire 'basic' but I love it. Having said that, I wouldn't describe L.C as 'basic' (and if she's basic then so am I). Kate Middleton (she of the infinite wardrobe of L.K Bennett wedges), Whitney Port, and Olivia Palermo circa The City on the other hand...
  • Sport sport sport - there's been a lot of it this summer. The World Cup started off brilliantly but by the final I was a bit over it (and I love football). Wimbledon was great. The Commonwealth Games have also been a treat to watch.
So, what have you been up to?

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!