The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Top Ten Tuesday - Best of 2013 So Far

Tuesday, June 25, 2013


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far in 2013


1. The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp by Eva Rice - Set during the end of the rockin' 50's and the beginning of the swinging 60's, this novel was bound to be good. Coming of age tales are ten a penny but very few are so rich and satisfying without being over the top; poignant without being contrived. I absolutely adored this novel. 

2. Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta - I love my Aussie YA and this has skyrocketed into my all time favourites list. 

3. Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell - Like a summer storm - both electric and claustrophobic. Great characters, excellent story. Perfect for summer if you haven't read it yet.

4. Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols - So playful and funny. Jennifer Echols did a good job of portraying that gang you always see on holiday who seem to be having a lot more fun than you. Or maybe you're in that gang and don't know what I'm talking about...either way, this is a must read and I can't believe it took me so long to get it. 

5. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg- Inspring and invigorating. I think everyone can take something away from this book. 

6. Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne - I read a lot of American YA - through choice- so it was nice to read something about my own home. Full of twists and turns this was a gritty read. 

7. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar- Some characters get under your skin and into your heart. This happened with Carly in Raw Blue. 

8. Pao by Kerry Young - I was personally invested in this novel because of my own heritage. It's hard enough to find people who resemble me in novels as it is but to find a book about Chinese Jamaicans? Brilliant! 

9. Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally - Soooo Miranda Kenneally is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Plus, it made me think of that amazing show Bug Juice. Remember that? Real kids, making friends, having fun, uh-huh bug juice. That there sums up this book. 

10. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter- Hilarious! Liz and Dick! The Italian Riviera! Too many exclamation marks! 

5 comments

  1. Heart Shaped Bruise sounds intriguing! I love stories from the point of view of accused criminals, especially when the author turns them into sympathetic characters and allows readers to understand why they did what they did. One of my favorite books is After by Amy Efaw because, although it is about a pregnant teenager who gives birth and then throws her baby in the trash can, you really get to know her and grow to comprehend her extreme denial.

    I hope you come across as many good books in the second half of 2013 as you did in the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had a look at After on Goodreads and I'm definitely going to read it. Thank you for the recommendation Emily!

      Delete
  2. I've eyed the cover of Beautiful Ruins a billion times, but still need to pick it up. I still need to read Miranda Kenneally's books, too. Way too many books on my TBR! Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha tell me about it! I blame the Kindle - before then I was limited to what my local bookshop stocked, what Amazon was willing to deliver, and our yearly jaunt across the pond. Now there's far too much choice.

      Delete
  3. I see a few to add to my TPR pile. May you continue reading great books!!

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!