The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Top Ten Tuesday - Light Hearted Reads

Tuesday, May 7, 2013


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is books to read when you need something light and fun. 



1. The Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty - I love these books so, so much. It is a coming of age series full of genuine characters, some proper laugh out loud moments, excellent music and even a catchphrase/tagline of sorts. 

2. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - Forget the film, these books are hilarious. Becky is a hoot and I love how very British it is. Not in a Downton way. More like Jules' family in Bend It Like Beckham. 

3. Finding Cassie Crazy by Jaclyn Moriarty - (Also called The Year of Secret Assignments outside of the UK and Aus) This is one of my favourite books of all time. I wanted this to happen at my school so badly! 

4. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling - A collection of essays from everybody's new imaginary BFF. I laughed so much whilst reading this. If you haven't read it I urge you to get a copy right away!

5. Gallagher Girls Series by Ally Carter - This series has spies AND boarding school, what more could you want? I love Heist Society too, which is good if you're looking for an Ocean's 11 by way of the CW style of book. 

6. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper - Even though the subject matter is not light hearted at all (a death in the family), the characters and the series of events poor Judd is subjected to are handled with dry wit and heart. Oh and there's a film adaptation on the way too - just look at that cast!

7. Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols - Perfect summer book. Love triangles, switcheroos, and plenty of sun make for a playful read. Think I'll read it again when I finally manage to go on holiday. 

8. The Nanny Diaries by Emma McClauhglin and Nicola Kraus - As with Shopaholic, forget the film adaptation, the book is much better. Perfect for fans of The Devil Wears Prada. 

9. The It Girl Series by Cecily von Ziegesar - I was tempted to put Gossip Girl here but I think this series fits the theme better. Also, I prefer the ensemble characters in this series. Obviously, nobody can replace B & S but Callie, Brett and Tinsley together make for a far more interesting friendship group. Be warned, they are quite addictive. 

10. Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot - I like most of Meg Cabot's books but I've re-read this series the most. Lizzie is an extremely likeable character and reminds me a little of Becky in Shopaholic. 

4 comments

  1. Nice list! And I really really need to check out Kaling's book already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is an incredibly witty woman and it's a quick read - hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. I have the first Gallagher Girls book on my shelf right now, and HEIST SOCIETY too. I really should read them sometime soon. I keep hearing about the Jessica Darling series and how much people love them. I should check them out too. Great list! (Lots of good book recs.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Ally Carter's style - she's very good at pacing and also good at writing realistic action scenes. The first three Jessica Darling's are definitely worth reading but the last two probably fall into this new 'New Adult' category and it depends how you feel about those kinds of books I suppose!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!