The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter

Monday, May 20, 2013


Publisher: Hachette Children's Books
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Goodreads

Kat Bishop comes from a family comprised of the best thieves and con artists in the world. Although, more recently, Kat has been using her thieving skills for good by returning Holocaust artwork to the rightful owners. However, this time around, help is required a little closer to home. W.W Hale is Kat’s rich boyfriend who uses his resources to bankroll their operations. When Hale’s grandmother unexpectedly passes away, he suddenly finds himself in charge of the billion dollar Hale Industires empire. Kat doesn’t belong in this world and is all but ready to leave until somebody points out the obvious – why is a seventeen year old running a huge corporation? Something must be wrong. So, with the help of her extended family, Kat tries to save her beloved Hale.

Some books just require sound effects to convey how you feel. When I finished Perfect Scoundrels my first reaction was: eeeee awwww oooooh! As I mentioned the other day, I do love the Heist Society series.  I feel the same way after reading these books as I did with Gossip Girl and It Girl. This book was just as fun as the others but also a little bit more mature. After all, Kat and Hale are together and there’s a family death to deal with. I couldn’t help but notice the Batman feel to the Hale story, such as the gadgets man who brought to mind Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox, Marcus the British butler and Michael Caine's Alfred, and then obviously the whole young man running a massive company hoo-ha. However, this doesn't take away from the story at all. Perhaps they're there for a reason - who knows what's in store for Hale in the next book!

I think we should talk about Kat though. I really like this character. She’s not your typical girl and she’s not the fake atypical girl (you know in some books where the girl is supposed to be different but she is actually the tallest most beautiful and funny misfit. The 'Manic Pixe Dreamgirl' if you will). Kat Bishop is very quiet for a protagonist. We’re never told much about what she looks like and we don’t hear her prattling on mindlessly. Instead, Kat is a doer - always on the move in the shadows. I think Ally Carter had to make her protagonist this way or else the whole premise would collapse. A know it all, perfect girl + all the heists and jet setting in the novel, which is obviously quite unbelievable, would just push the reader over the edge. Kat is the calm amidst the chaos.

Hale is a well crafted character too. Where Kat is a behind the scenes kind of girl, Hale is confident and charming. I like that he faultered a little and had to lean on Kat in this book and I like that she stood up to the plate. Perfect Scoundrels is a great addition to the Heist Society series – I have absolutely no complaints. So, I'll leave you with the song that was playing just as I finished the book because it fit the end scene perfectly.

4 comments

  1. I still to read HEIST SOCIETY. It's sitting on my shelf right now. I've heard a lot of good things about Ally Carter's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her books are so much fun! She manages to strike a good balance between high jinks and general growing up angst. Her girl characters are well written too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Ally Carter yet, but the plot of this one sounds like something I'd love, especially the part about returning artwork stolen during the Holocaust. Thanks for sharing your review on this. I'm going to add it to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The returning artwork plot is mostly in the first book (and the second I think). They're really quick reads though!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!