The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

It's Hard To Explain, They Don't Love You Like I Love You

Saturday, February 2, 2013




Soooo, this year is already looking up (musically at least). Two of my FAVOURITE bands are returning. I don't really have many favourite bands, I tend to just listen to a little bit of everything and I might manage to drag myself to a gig or a festival to see one or two. I'm not much of a festival person anymore- partly because I can usually hear one from my garden every year. Most of the time, it's just drunk and poorly (if at all) washed people, fashion mavens, and maybe one really good band. Occassionally, they're magical. For example, singing along "I don't care what nobody says, we're gonna have a baby" with King's of Leon as the sun sets perfectly. Or being part of what felt like a million people crowded into a tent just losing it completely to everything offered by LCD Soundsystem (look it has even been documented here). But, this isn't about them. This isn't about anyone else but The Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They are my forever go to artists (along with Muse, Incubus, Beck and Kings of Leon up until Because of The Times anyway). 

I think context is key. I found these bands when I was about thirteen/fourteen. At that age it is easy to become obsessed with pretty much anything. I bought all the CD's, posters, signed up to any and every mailing list- you name it. Looking back, I think the reason I fell in love with their sound is because they were sooooo New York. At least to little old me in the suburbs of London. New York was another one of my obsessions back then too (thank you, again, Gossip Girl) and The Strokes fit into my idea of what the lives of those Upper East Siders might be like. On the other hand, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sounded so gritty and just...cool without trying. Those two bands are few of the only bands that sound like a place to me, if that makes sense. In my head, Muse sound universal. I can't pin point them. But then The Arctic Monkeys are so Northern to me and not just because of the accent. It's the sound. Similarly, Vampire Weekend always make me think of my short but sweet trip to Brown University because they just sound like it. I don't know, it's hard to explain.

Anyway, I am rambling too much. All I wanted to say was I'm glad they're back and I'm excited y'all! Sorry about that. I'm preparing for Nashville's UK premiere on Wednesday. I'll stop right now but  obviously I'm not going to leave you without a parting gift- some little aural sweeties for you. 







Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!