The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

NaNoWriMo Summary

Sunday, December 2, 2012

So, I managed to write over 50,000 words for this year's National Novel Writing Month. It was, as ever, an interesting challenge. The version that is currently sitting in Scrivener is by no means complete and the story isn't that good either (although how can we honestly judge our own work?). Overall, I am pleased that I won but I don't think I'll do it next year. Instead, I'll concentrate on one project over the next year or however long it takes.

Anyway, here's a summary of my NaNoWriMo journey:


  • 50,434 words and I actually managed to write an ending this time and come up with a title, which is rare. Very rare.
  • I did not change the main character's first name (or last) for the first time ever.
  • However, I did change the little character picture on Scrivener. Everyone else stayed the same. 
  • 4x episodes of The Good Wife, Arrow, and Hart of Dixie missed. 
  • I did not manage to finish my Coursera course because the novel took over.
  • I found my characters had more of their own minds this year compared to last year. 
  • I didn't care so much about accuracy in terms of the vibe of certain places and sticking to specific time frames compared to last year and other writing projects.
  • Much more disciplined this year- pretty much wrote everyday from 6-8pm. 
  • Halfway through, I sent everything I had written to my Nook and I must say there's nothing quite like seeing what you've written look like a proper e-book. Even if it doesn't sound like one...
  • An ever evolving playlist to provide a suitable soundtrack for the novel. Thank you Spotify and Last.fm. 
Ha! Let's hope when I re-read what I have so far, it makes more sense than what I have written here. But, I am tired and a little fed up of writing. So, happy holidays to one and all- enjoy the final month of what has been a brilliant year (at least over here anyway)! 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!