The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Best of 2012: Film

Sunday, December 30, 2012

This is a lot easier to do than the music list. It hasn't been an amazing year for film but it has definitely been better than 2011. I think I might even get an Odeon points card this year. Anyway, in no particular order, here are the films that have entertained me the most this year. 

Film

Margin Call
21 Jump Street
We Bought A Zoo
The Hunger Games
Avengers Assemble
The Amazing Spider-Man
Brave
Looper
Ruby Sparks
Skyfall
Silver Linings Playbook
Celeste and Jesse Forever
The Dark Knight Rises


Now, had they decided to release Les Miserables this side of Christmas in the UK, I would have probably been waxing lyrical about it. However, for some reason we don't get it until next year (anybody who knows why, please enlighten me. Is it to do with the Academy voting date change?) so no doubt it will end up on the list twelve months from now.  

Score/Soundtrack

I do love a good film score or soundtrack and this year's composers and music supervisors have not disappointed. I have listened to some scores belonging to films that I have not even seen or didn't like (yes, Prometheus I am looking at you). Stand out's were as follows:

Ruby Sparks by Nick Urata- I briefly touched on this in my review of the film but the score was so jaunty but sweet and nostalgic at the same time. 



Prometheus by Marc Streitenfeld- An epic score for a not so epic film. The opening scene with the gorgeous cinematography and the accompanying tremulous strings and horn fanfare (every film set in space needs a fanfare, no?) is simply breathtaking. Then the rest of the film happens and...well, I was not impressed. However, this score will probably remain one of my favourites. 


The Hunger Games- Songs from District 12 and Beyond by Various- I wasn't that keen on James Newton Howard's score. It didn't add or take away from the film. Although, shouldn't Katniss have a memorable theme? Even I remember Bella and Edward's little piano riff from the first Twilight. Anyway, that's all beside the point. There was an accompanying soundtrack featuring songs by artists ranging from The Civil Wars to Kid Cudi. I believe it was produced by T Bone Burnett.



Brave by Patrick Doyle- Brilliant film, brilliant score. So lively and fun. It came out just after the Olympics, so we were all in Team GB spirit still, so it was good to hear those Celtic themes. 



Celeste and Jesse Forever Soundtrack- Sunny Levine/ Zach Cowie- Just a really well thought out soundtrack. They didn't throw together all the latest hits and litter the film with well-known tunes. Instead, it sounds masterfully curated and that's just how I like my film soundtracks. 


Finally, an honourable mention for The Dark Knight Rises score. As I was going to sleep the night after watching the film, all I heard was the chanting theme. Thank you Hans Zimmer. 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!